當前位置:
首頁 > 最新 > Effy陪你讀名著:簡愛 第9期

Effy陪你讀名著:簡愛 第9期

Jane Eyre

音頻地址:http://www.ximalaya.com/56018504/sound/35664308

Superstition was with me at that moment, but it was not yet her hour for complete victory.

這時候我相信起迷信來了,但並沒有到了完全聽憑擺布的程度。

My blood was still warm; the mood of the revolted slave was still bracing me with its bitter vigour.

我依然熱血沸騰,反叛的奴隸那種苦澀情緒依然激勵著我。

I had to stem a rapid rush of retrospective thought before I quailed to the dismal present.

往事如潮、在我腦海中奔涌,如果我不加以遏制,我就不會對陰暗的現實屈服。

All John Reed s violent tyrannies, all his sisters proud indifference, all his mother s aversion,

約翰·里德的專橫霸道、他姐妹的高傲冷漠、他母親的厭惡、

all the servants partiality, turned up in my disturbed mind like a dark deposit in a turbid well.

僕人們的偏心,像一口混沌的水井中黑色的沉澱物,一古腦兒泛起在我煩惱不安的心頭。

Why was I always suffering, always browbeaten, always accused, for ever condemned?

為什麼我總是受苦,總是遭人白眼,總是讓人告狀,永遠受到責備呢?

Why could I never please?

為什麼我永遠不能討人喜歡?

Why was it useless to try to win any one s favour?

為什麼我儘力博取歡心,卻依然無濟於事呢?

Eliza, who, was headstrong and selfish, was respected.

伊麗莎自私任性,卻受到尊敬。

Georgiana, who had a spoiled temper, a very acrid spite, a captious and insolent carriage,was universally indulged.

治亞娜好使性子,心腸又毒,而且強詞奪理目空一切,偏偏得到所有人的縱容。

Her beauty, her pink cheeks and golden curls, seemed to give delight to all who, looked at her,and to purchase indemnity for every fault.

她的美貌,她紅潤的面頰,金色的捲髮,使得她人見人愛,一俊便可遮百丑。

John no one thwarted, much less punished.

至於約翰,沒有人同他頂撞。

Though he twisted the necks of the pigeons, killed the little pea-chicks, set the dogs at the sheep,

雖然他什麼壞事都干:捻斷鴿子的頭頸,弄死小孔雀,放狗去咬羊,

stripped the hothouse vines of their fruit, and broke the buds off the choicest plants in the conservatory.

採摘溫室中的葡萄,掐斷暖房上等花木的嫩芽。

He called his mother old girl, too

有時還叫他母親「老姑娘」.

sometimes reviled her for her dark skin, similar to his own, bluntly disregarded her wishes;

又因為她皮膚黝黑像他自己而破口大罵。他蠻橫地與母親作對,

not unfrequently tore and spoiled her silk attire, and he was still her own darling.

經常撕毀她的絲綢服裝,而他卻依然是「她的寶貝蛋」。

I dared commit no fault.

而我不敢有絲毫閃失。

I strove to fulfill every duty; and I was termed naughty and tiresome, sullen and sneaking,from morning to noon, and from noon to night.

幹什麼都全力以赴,人家還是罵我淘氣鬼,討厭坯,罵我陰絲絲,賊溜溜,從早上罵到下午,從下午罵到晚上。

My head still ached and bled with the blow and fall I had received.

我因為挨了打、跌了交,頭依然疼痛,依然流著血。

No one had reproved John for wantonly striking me.

約翰肆無忌憚地打我,卻不受責備。

And because I had turned against him to avert farther irrational violence, I was loaded with general opprobrium.

而我不過為了免遭進一步無理毆打,反抗了一下,便成了眾矢之的。

Unjust! - unjust! said my reason, forced by the agonising stimulus into precocious though transitory power.

不公呵,不公!」我的理智呼喊著。在痛苦的刺激下我的理智變得早熟,化作了一種短暫的力量。

And Resolve, equally wrought up, instigated some strange expedient to achieve escape from insupportable oppression-as running away,

決心也同樣鼓動起來,激發我去採取某種奇怪的手段,來擺脫難以忍受的壓迫,譬如逃跑,

or, if that could not be effected, never eating or drinking more, and letting myself die.

要是不能奏效,那就不吃不喝,活活餓死。

What a consternation of soul was mine that dreary afternoon!

那個陰沉的下午,我心裡多麼惶恐不安!

How all my brain was in tumult, and all my heart in insurrection!

我的整個腦袋如一團亂麻,我的整顆心在反抗!

Yet in what darkness, what dense ignorance, was the mental battle fought!

然而那場內心鬥爭又顯得多麼茫然,多麼無知啊!

I could not answer the ceaseless inward question- why I thus suffered.

我無法回答心底那永無休止的問題-為什麼我要如此受苦。

Now, at the distance of- I will not say how many years, I see it clearly.

此刻,在相隔-我不說多少年以後,我看清楚了。

獨特 新潮 玩轉英語

這就是EFFY S ENGLISH CLUB

喜歡這篇文章嗎?立刻分享出去讓更多人知道吧!

本站內容充實豐富,博大精深,小編精選每日熱門資訊,隨時更新,點擊「搶先收到最新資訊」瀏覽吧!


請您繼續閱讀更多來自 來玩英語吧 的精彩文章:

TAG:來玩英語吧 |